Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Models for Sex/Sexuality/Gender

(2/17/20)
For the past couple days, as my mind wandered during the sermon or during dull moments at my desk, I've been trying to find a good pictorial model or allegory for human sex/sexuality/gender.

I want something that expresses the bi-modal or bi-nodal nature as well as the constellated individuality or brilliant spectrum nature, and that doesn't conceptually privilege or emphasize certain areas or points of the picture. I guess the question is, can you draw a picture with two nodes that doesn't necessarily pronounce those nodes?

At first I thought of a magnetic field
Image result for magnetic field

Like, the field is defined by the poles, but that's not really what the field is. I dunno what I'm talking about.

Or then the rainbow
Image result for rainbow
Which is already associated with diversity, but also has two endpoints. But those endpoints aren't actually places, they are concepts, in the same way that sex/gender is a generalized description of lots of specific facts/experience/ideas/feelings/etc.

I guess I'm really excited by the description of gender and sex that Kandel laid out in his book. I didn't understand how all the interrelations worked, but I visualize it as a flow-chart, of sorts, with five genres of sex-gender identification.


No comments:

Post a Comment