Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Weeks 19-21 - What's so funny about Jesus?

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal - Christopher Moore

   You know that foggy, where-am-I feeling you get after driving on the interstate for way too long, or after cramming all night for an exam? I've felt like that constantly for the past couple months! Very frustrating. At the end of the day, I'm never quite sure what I've done, how I've done it, or how I feel about it. How long have I been driving? Did I miss the exit? Get me to a Waffle House quick. I mean I'm kinda busy but I'm not that busy.

   Lamb is charming and overdone, in that order. The first third, by far the best part, covers Joshua (Jesus) and Biff's childhood escapades. In the second part Josh and Biff travel east to find and learn from the wise men. The final section retells the Gospels - Joshua's public ministry as the Messiah.
   My overall impression was that Moore had the most fun with the first two sections, but he felt obligated to tell the whole story, so he just muscled it out. I wish he'd done like Anne Rice and focused on a short boyhood time frame, one to three years - some kind of Huckleberry Finn adventure, with plenty of foreshadowing. I think that would have better served his comedic gifts. In any case, this is the funniest book about Jesus ever written!

No comments:

Post a Comment