Friday, January 31, 2020

Statement of Intent

Kinda hokey but ok right? for my grad school application
----------------------------------

Over the entrance to my current workplace, Richmond Hill, in bronze letters slightly greened, is a small portion of a famous verse from the prophet Jeremiah. “Seek the welfare of the city to which I have sent you” (Jer 29:7). Inspiring and challenging! That verse charges and re-charges us, seemingly inexhaustible in potential.

By truncating this verse we have found a strong and positive moto, but we’ve also dulled the jarring force and offensiveness of the full verse, which describes its social context. “But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare.” Jeremiah is exhorting his compatriots to seek the welfare of their captors’ community, to pray for their oppressors’ city! If I were in a similar situation, would I listen to Jeremiah? Or would I rather scream revenge like the psalmist (137)? “O daughter Babylon, you devastator! Happy shall they be who pay you back...happy shall they be who take your little ones and dash them against the rock!”

In pursuing this counseling program, I hope not only to seek the welfare of myself and community, but to learn the skills to help others help themselves and their community. I hope to learn and pass on the process of welfaring, not just the little welfare I might contribute.

And I realize, at least in a limited way, that the context of each person’s healing and whole-ing process is different. I have struggled with depression most of my adult life, and mental health challenges have dogged our family. Thanks to great counselors, doctors, good jobs, and health insurance we are all doing okay. In my social context, we had clear paths to getting help; I come from a white, middle-class, college educated, and fully employed context.

What if I’d been in a situation of economic or geographical confinement? Or if I didn’t trust mental health workers because I’d experienced racial discrimination in healthcare? Or if I couldn’t get people to take my health seriously because I was differently abled mentally or physically? “Seek the welfare” of myself and community might sound a lot different to me, then.

In short, I hope to become a counselor, to empower others as I’ve been empowered, and also to empower others as I haven’t been empowered. I hope to learn a variety of methods to support others dealing with a variety of challenges in a variety of social contexts.

I don’t have any specific experience working in mental health per say, but I feel like I have had very relevant jobs, the kinds of jobs that might give me a solid base to transition into counseling. For example I have “counseled” and encouraged youth in several different capacities.

As a camp counselor I learned about teamwork, communication, and the fine art of dancing around the campfire. Perhaps my most valuable lesson from working in the boarding school dormitory is that punitive-based motivational structures can work, but they are not the healthiest long-term strategy. At St. Joseph’s Villa, in the autism classroom I was introduced to an amazing group of students and staff, all working with Applied Behavioral Analysis (which would have helped me so much at the boarding school!).

For the better part of the last decade, I have worked at Richmond Hill, an outreach ministry and retreat center in Richmond. As I alluded to above, our mission is the “healing of the city,” healing in all senses and for all people, and since I first encountered the place I have been smitten with it. I have filled various roles in the organization, doing the best I can, but I’ve yet to find the “right fit.” Based on my current experience in the “Ruah” School at Richmond Hill - which is a class to train “spiritual directors” (one-on-one listening and open-ended questioning) - and my previous experience in the Pastoral Care training program, also at Richmond Hill - I believe I have the desire and ability to be a counselor.

Academically I have been fortunate to have great teachers every step of the way, beginning with my parents and grandparents, and my enthusiasm for reading and study hasn’t dimmed in the dozen years since college. I am not particularly smart or talented, but love to learn. I’m confident I will be able to keep up with the coursework. I’m excited to apply and hope this program is possible for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment